What’s for dinner tonight? If you’re still sweating by mealtime like us desert dwellers, firing up the oven is a no-go. And ordering in is getting old. So if you haven’t already caught on, the grill should be your best bud this time of year.
With little prep time and a big flavor payoff, I bet you’ll have this recipe on the front lines for easy and fresh meals. This salad packs a punch of flavor and its avocado-cilantro-lime dressing will become a staple you use for salads, dip for zucchini fries, a topping for tacos or whatever else your taste buds desire.
Please like and share this and if you’ve tried it, let me know in the comments below!
Zesty Grilled Shrimp Salad
Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 5 min. Total time: 20 min.
For the shrimp skewers
1/2 lb. raw, deveined shrimp (tail on or off)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
2 bell peppers of choice, chopped into large pieces (I like the sweetness of orange and red)
1/2 red onion, chopped into large pieces
10-15 wooden skewers
For the dressing
1/4 c plain Greek yogurt
1/2 lime, squeezed
1/4 c cilantro
1 tsp. cumin powder
pinch of salt
3 tbsp. water (add more for thinner consistency)
For the salad base
2 c romaine lettuce
2 c spinach
Drizzle of Sriracha hot sauce (or favorite hot sauce)
Crumbled feta or cotija cheese
1. Begin by soaking your wooden skewers in water while preparing the shrimp for the grill (about 10 minutes). Depending on your grill, you may want to warm it up at this point.
2. Create your salad bed by coarsely chopping spinach and romaine lettuce (tip: a kitchen shears works great for this!) and setting aside in the fridge to chill.
3. Make the dressing by combining Greek yogurt, cilantro, avocado, lime, cumin, salt and water in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside in fridge to chill.
2. Next, mix together cumin, garlic & chili powders and pepper & salt in a small dish. Then, in a large bowl, drizzle shrimp with olive oil and add seasonings. Toss to combine.
3. Arrange shrimp, bell pepper slices and onion slices on skewers, alternating between each one. Grill the skewers for 2-3 minutes on each side, using a medium-high heat until shrimp is pink in color and cooked through. Remove from grill and set aside to cool.
4. On two plates or large bowls, add salad base, contents from skewers, a drizzle of the dressing, and (optional) Sriracha and cheese crumbles. Serve with a lime wedge and margarita 😉
*Note: These skewers are great without the salad part too! If you’re not grill-savvy or you can’t access one, place the skewers on a baking sheet lined with tin foil and bake in the oven at 325 F for 10-12 minutes. Or, if you don’t have skewers, you can saute the shrimp, peppers & onion in a skillet until cooked through.